CERT Tools for Leadership Success
Registration was limited to CERT members.
January 15, 2022, from 8:00am to 12pm on Zoom.
Join Brian Lindblom for a morning class learning about leadership as it relates to the CERT organization and working with teams. We will be reviewing the CERT FEMA Curriculum on Leadership with emphasis on volunteers.
Update: The slides from this presentation are available.
Here is what the class will cover:
- Define leadership and team membership
- Describe CERT Basic Training concepts that apply to leadership
- Describe characteristics, skills, and responsibilities of an effective team leader and effective team members
- Describe each style within a range of leadership styles that may be useful during CERT response
- Identify the appropriate leadership response for a given situation
- Recognize your personal leadership style
- List the steps a leader should take to direct team operations during an activation
- Describe tips for making decisions under stressful conditions
- Describe tips for addressing various leadership concerns
- As a team, choose a leader and develop an action plan for a given scenario. What leadership skills are you and team looking for?
Brian recommends these entertaining movies that showcase leadership styles and struggles:
- Twelve O’clock High (1949)
- 12 Angry Men (1949)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
- Sand Pebbles (1966)
- Patton (1970)
- Schindler’s List (1993)
- Thirteen Days (2000)
- Coach Carter (2005)
- Invictus (2009)
- The Kings Speech (2010)